Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pre-Term Labor? No thank you! - Part Three

Unfortunately, the Terb shot didn't do a dang thing but make my arm hurt and give me the shakes. Yuck. So several hours later they gave me a pill called Nifetipine that was supposed to be stronger. It helped a little by spacing out the contractions and lessening their strength - but not by much. Dr. O came in around 9:30 am Saturday morning and checked me again. I was still dilated to a one, but he thought that the back of my cervix was a little more dilated than yesterday, so I was ordered a lovely Magnesium Sulfate drip that was added to my already running IV. Yay! No more pokes.
Nurses were coming and going all day checking on me and trying to keep Archer's heartbeat monitored. But that dang little boy would NOT sit still. We couldn't keep track of his hb for longer than 5 minutes at a time without him kicking the machine and moving. I'm telling you, this little boy is a handful already! ;) At one point Ultrasound came in to check how Archer boy was laying (breech) in case we did need to have a c-section. Then I had the second dose of that awful steroid shot for baby's lungs. The nurses kept telling me to get some rest and try to sleep... but honestly, who  did they think I was?! With all the craziness going on and monitors beeping I was stressed to the max. NO way was I getting any sleep. I'm just glad that people came and stopped by to visit, otherwise I would have been bored out of my mind (there's never anything good on t.v. when you actually have time to sit and watch it)! Yeah, Josh was there but it's always fun to have visitors. (Love you, Josh!) I was still having contractions all day, but they were really tiny and kinda spaced out, and every 10 - 15 minutes I'd get a "big" one. Saturday night the Dr. ordered me a sleeping pill because I still hadn't slept AT ALL (no lie). Bless his heart, that sleeping pill made up for the straight catheter he had given me earlier. I've never slept so good in my life! I think I managed to get about 4 hours straight before I had to wake up to use the bathroom, after which I was able to go right back to sleep. Ahhh, bliss!
And let me tell you, trying to get to the bathroom when you are hooked up to all kinds of monitors and IV's is a royal pain in the you-know-what! Honestly, I held it as long as I could before I would get up and go (which wasn't very fun either). Never mind worrying about my behind hanging out of my gown, but I also had to worry about stepping on wires, pulling out tubing and not dropping it all in the toilet. Eww. Not fun.
Things started to finally slow down mid Sunday morning, and at ten the Dr. ordered the Mag drip to be lowered by half, until about 2 pm when it was shut off all the way. I still had contractions but they were still really mild compared to Friday, and the big ones were only coming every 15 - 20 minutes now. Phew. Things were looking up, finally. At about 5:30 pm the nurse came in and asked how I was feeling, and if I thought I was ready to go home. Uh, DUH! Yes, please!!! It took Josh all of about 10 minutes to throw all my stuff together and help me get dressed. Before I was wheeled out we had to sign some paperwork and then we were outta there. I can't be too sure, but I think Josh was even more bored sitting around the hospital room than I was. ;) So, now here I sit at home on semi-bed rest. Still contracting. Still having back pain... but at least Archer is still where he should be. The Dr. and I set a goal of reaching at least 34 weeks. We don't want him coming any sooner, and it would be awesome if he would stay in longer. Now, once again, we just have to wait. And let me tell you, it's only been three days of semi-bed rest and I am BORED! I need people to recommend some books and movies for me. I need something to do!

P.S. Big thanks to so many people:
-Jan and John for taking the kids for Josh and I Saturday through Sunday evening. It was such an amazing help to us!
-Kacey, my darling angel, for 'breaking into' my house and cleaning it for me while Josh and I were in the hospital
-All my visitors. You guys truly brightened my day!
-The nursing staff at EIRMC in L&D. You ladies were amazing and went out of your way to make me comfortable! You are the best.
-Dr. O. What would I do without you! You are an amazing Dr.

sign off for blog


grammaDawn said...

Coming soon :o}

Melinda said...

When I was pregnant with my last and my husband was gone (for basic training) I read a TON of books, I think its about the only thing that kept me halfway sane. Some good series: Inheritance (its the Eragon series), Fablehaven is fantastic, Harry Potter if you haven't read those and Hunger Games, I also loved the Gregor the Overlander series. Some books I loved, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, any Shannon Hale book is cute and fun, its long but I love Gone With the Wind, I have lots more suggestions if you want! ;)
I'm sorry about your hospital stay, I wish I lived by you and could help you out more than just book suggestions, but you're still in my prayers every night.