Sunday, March 22, 2009

Starting our Garden

I am so excited for summer! Why, you ask? Because summer means sun, and sun means GARDEN! Not that I have a green thumb, by ANY means... but I still love to plant a garden and reap the rewards of my labor. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING like a tomato picked fresh from your own garden. If you haven't tried one, you haven't lived. It just isn't the same thing when you buy them from the store. BLUCK! Anyways, this year I wanted to do my own plant starts. They are SO much less expensive than buying them from a store or greenhouse. Each plant is usually somewhere between $1-2, and an entire packet of 20+ seeds is about $1.25! You do the math. Makes perfect cents to me! (haha - pun/grammar mistake totally intended) So this year, we are planting lots of stuff and we are staggering the starts over the next couple months so that we can have fresh tomatoes staggered over several weeks rather than getting them ALL AT ONCE (which happened last year).

Here's a couple pictures of what we've started:
Photobucket
Photobucket

So far we've started TONS of tomatoes (roma, cherry, grape, and slicers), spices/herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, chives, and cilantro), jalapenos and zucchini. We're also going to do: pole beans, peas, beets, strawberries and squash. Not to mention we have the two plum trees AND the apple tree! Doesn't that sound like fun?! (I totally know you're WAY jealous) I'm going to be SO busy canning next fall. So for gifts over the next several months you can't go wrong giving us canning supplies (like jars, sugar, funnels and stuff). Or you could totally go in together and get me a canning pot that will do more than four cans at a time (like what I'm using now). I'm hoping to get that for myself for my birthday - but we'll have to see. Well, wish me luck! I'll be sure to keep y'all posted on my garden.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot... I went and bought the Twilight movie on Saturday. LOVE it. But I must admit the book is a gazillion times better! Even Josh agrees with me there. Anyways, we went over to the in-laws to watch it that night and come to find out I'm totally related to Stephenie Meyer (by marriage)!!! Isn't that awesome!? Do you think she'd totally hook me up? Seeing as how I'm "family" and all? Probably not considering I'm like a second cousin thrice removed in-law or something to that affect... but still!

4 comments:

Stephanie.Fitness said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I want to start some garden stuff this year too. I like how you're starting so early. Where do you go get those planter thingy's? I'd love to copy you and start doing that too. Do you mind sharing some tips?

Bree said...

I don't really have any! HAHAHA! We're just kinda winging it and seeing how it goes! We got everything at Lowe's. (wow, that sounds like a commercial)

Stephanie.Fitness said...

Your commercial pitch has a very nice ring to it. Hahaha! I'm gonna wing it too, but I have one question about tomatoes. Have you seen the hanging "upside down" tomato plants? I wonder if they're any good? Hmmm....I wonder?! Oh well, I'll keep you posted on my gardening as well, yet I haven't even come close to starting, unlike someone else I know (wink, wink). I wish I had your ambition and energy. Sometimes when I read your blog, I get a little worn out. You do so much in one day. What you do in one day, I do in a week! Slow down, woman. You're starting to make me look bad! Hahaha!

derrickandlisadye said...

There is nothing better than fresh food from the garden. I get a litle giddy, okay a LOT giddy, when I can walk out to my garden and pick something, eat it, and not have to pay for it!!! I smile just thinking about it. It looks like you've got a great start!! We've only started cucumbers and peppers so far. I can't wait til summer!!!